Monday, 23 September 2013

Long distance Christmas card!

Here goes nothing, my first Christmas card of the year!  I'm off to South Africa in a couple of weeks time to see where my brother and sister-in-law live, they've been out there for about ten years and this will be my first ever visit, also my first every 'long haul' trip so I'm pretty excited and, as the year is flying by thought I'd take their Christmas card with me as postage out to them is a totally 'silly' price even for the flattest of cards! I'm just hoping they don't spot it here on my blog.......


Base card is 8x8" (made from two A4 sheets) Super Smooth white card, with various matted layers of 'old gold' pearlescent paper, red pearlescent card, green pearlescent card which were embossed using 'Rose Garden' and 'Music' Embossalicious folders from Crafters Companion and I carefully coated the raised areas on the red card with Galaxy Gold Brilliance inkpad, just to add a bit of extra interest to the background.  The gold satin ribbon is from my stash with the bow tied by hand using the integral bowmaker on the Ultimate Pro again from Crafters Companion.

The gorgeous digi image (Vintage Beauty 1 - Item No: 0021) is from a lovely new shop 'Scribble & Scrap' (http://www.scribbleandscrap.co.uk/) and was coloured by hand using various markers:- Graph-Its: 4125; 4115 & 4155 = skin, Spectrum Noir: DR2; 4; 6 &7 = dress/roses & lips, TN2; GB5 & EB3 = hair, CT4; CR2 & Blender for 'Christmas Roses' with the sash and leaves a mixture of LG5; DG3 & 4.  Spellbinders Labels 28 was used to cut the shape after hand cutting around the sections that would protrude from the base shape (I didn't want to lose them!) - again it justs adds a little extra detail, this was then layered up onto matching mats of  red, old gold and green pearlescent paper which were cut using my Cameo to get the nice even finish.  Inside the card is finished with complementary insert and appropriate verse for the occasion.

Ooops, nearly forgot... had a bit of a dilemma as to how to put the greeting on the front, especially with the deep embossing ..... came up with the idea of a peel off from my stash onto acetate which I then cut around and raised/adhered with some very thin 'slivers' of clear Zots!

As well as it being a special  'family' card I'm also entering it into the following challenges:-

http://scribbleandscrapcrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/challenge-1-always-anything-goes.html
http://papercreatorscrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/challenge-14.html
http://christmasstampin.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/challenge-34-christmas-cheer.html
http://jinglebellesrock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/vintage-views.html
http://www.crafterscompanion.co.uk/blog/crafterscompetition/2013/09/01/september-challenge-and-be-our-guest/

Wish me luck, and please feel free to leave a comment as I love to see what people think of the items I make!

Take care, crafty hugs to one and all

Su x

6 comments:

  1. Clever job with the sentiment ... your coloring really brings that gorgeous image to life ... so glad you joined us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...this is fab Su! I'd have never have thought of using the Scribble & Scrap digi for a Christmas card but it works brilliantly and looks so elegant and classy. Stunning card!

    Thank you for using a Scribble & Scrap product and for joining us over at the Scribble & Scrap Challenge. Good luck.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh enjoy your trip to see your Brother and Sister in Law, that will be some reunion after 10 years!!! I'm sure they will love there Christmas Card - its beautiful.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Crafters Companion's Embossing Challenge and good luck :0)
    Love Clairebears x

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fun and fabulous holiday card, i love that pretty image! thanks for joining our vintage fun at JINGLE BELLES! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty! A beautiful image and your coloring is fabulous! Thanks for playing with CSAYL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fabulous Christmas card, and the Vintage Lady 1 works perfectly.
    Thanks for joining us in the Scribble & Scrap Challenge
    Janet

    ReplyDelete